Thursday, March 10, 2016

Tail Light and Lay down License plate holder.

I knew the bike needed some things when I bought it. These were: tires, a carb cleaning/adjustment and probably a general tuneup.  I quickly learned after buying it that it desperately needed a battery as well as it let me sit 3 days later.  After much research I bought a battery and installed it.  It made a huge difference and the problem I thought the starter may have been having turned out to be a case of just not enough amperage from the dying battery to crank it over properly.

I really like the look of this bike, but there are a few blemishes from factory I wanted to clean up. First of them being the giant tail light and billboard style license plate holder.  I looked into options and decided to go with a Drag Specialties low profile LED tail light and a Kuryaken laydown license plate frame.


When driving home with my wife following me she noticed that the factory tail light was barely noticeable, so I was hoping the LED light would be brighter than factory in addition to shorter and better looking.  Here is the difference in sizes from DS low profile and factory.


Here are some before and after shots. 








I noticed after installing the light that since the plate is now laying down on the fender the light for the license plate now shines right onto the back of my head and is brighter than Hell when I look right or left at night.  I tried masking it off and painting the bottom half of it black.



This did not work, the LEDs are so bright they shine right through the black paint.  I put a piece of gaff tape over it for now and that worked.  Gaff tape is amazing. For those of you outside the sound/production world that might not know what it is, look it up and buy some!

No comments:

Post a Comment